Author Topic: Mounting a Moke on a frame.  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
Mounting a Moke on a frame.
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
Hi,

A thread for discussion, feedback and more details related to mounting Moke bodys onto frames or rotisseries relating to this article.

http://www.moke.com.au/modifications-and-repairs/442-mounting-a-moke-on-a-frame

Terry

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
Re: Mounting a Moke on a frame.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
A request from one who has trouble visualising concepts. Can we have a photo of a Moke mounted on the frame?

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
A request from one who has trouble visualising concepts. Can we have a photo of a Moke mounted on the frame?

Newie

Eventually there will be photos of that but at the moment I am not able to lift anything and I still have to make the rear bracket before I can put the body on the rack.

Terry

Offline sa mokin

• Registered Member
  • Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:56:58 PM »
Nice design Terry. I was wondering how I was going to mount my 76 Moke without a removeable grille! (currently using MD's great design which needs a removeable grille)

One thing I have discovered is that the centre of gravity of the vehicle is not straight forward - I made an alteration to the back mounting bracket which makes the car "top heavy" when turned upside down, causing the car to want to "right itself" if you haven't secured either end with a screw.  I used the tailgate area (for lack of a better description) exclusively which was a mistake - I probably will change the back mount to use the subframe mounts as I used in the front of the car.

Can't wait to see your final designs!
1980 Moke Californian
1976 Leyland Moke
1971 Export Moke
1966 Morris Mini Moke VIN #966 (465th Moke built in Australia)

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »
SA,

One thing I was suprised by was where the front cross memebr sits which is quite high in comparisson to MD's designs. This is because the shocker mounts angle slightly upwards towards the front of the Moke so by the time the 'arms' come past the body at full stretch the front cross bar is about half way up the grille.

This is going to affect the balance but I am hoping to fix that with an adjustable mount on the cross bar to see if I can find the right height for the center line. Plan on doing something similar on the rear to find out the best points and then maybe redesing to suit.

Terry