Author Topic: Forum vs MokeWerx  (Read 3751 times)

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
  • Lord Mav...Scottish land owner
Forum vs MokeWerx
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
Hi
I never go to www.moke.com.au ...
isnt this site for thing like that ?

I have to be honest.
I thought Pete was going to take photo's of everything..from taking the wheel off up to putting the wheel back in..( dont tell me how to take a wheel off  ;D )
so we know how to take the wheel bering out..

mavro

If Life was Fair, Everyone would have a MOKE....

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »

There is a FAQ section being developed and I see Newie has already put this one in there. However for something like this which is more of a How To than a FAQq then I will be checking with PP if we can make it an article and post it up to http://www.moke.com.au/how-to-articles

Terry

Did consider whether it was a FAQ or not Terry, but thought I'd save it while I thought of it, pending a judges decision later  :)

Great thread for those who haven't done it. Agree that a go to whoa may be handy, but you all need to remember that people do this stuff voluntarily and be happy to get what we can  :). Maybe someone else may pick it up and add to it when the job needs to be done as Samm suggested.

Hi
I never go to www.moke.com.au ...
isnt this site for thing like that ?

mavro

What ??

You're missing out big time Mav  :)

As a man who is currently in the midst of a resto and who spends as much time on the forum as you do, it would really pay you to take a look - particularly at the Mokewerx section here http://www.moke.com.au/mokewerx . "Moke Tools" and "Modifications and Repairs" in particular, should be considered essential reading!!!

The forum is great as you know, but the articles in Mokewerx have been carefully put together by people who really know what they are talking about - Terry, Maddog, Smoken to name a few (well, I think that's most of them actually - sorry if I missed anyone :)).

Do yourself a favour and have a quick look through at those which interest you now and then check back as your resto progresses. Maddog in particular is regularly adding to the library and I'm sure you'll agree he does an excellent job with his articles  :)

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
First ANYTHING MD does is TOP..I wish I was more like that...

I will have a read on the werx site.
and me, I am allmost never on here..just every now and then. ( 40 days in 8 months isnt much ? )

mav.

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »
Yes, an excellent "How To" Pete! Thanks for taking the time to write it up, and share it with everyone by posting it.

With Pete's permission, I have turned it into an article in the "How To" section of the main Moke website, and it can be found here...

http://www.moke.com.au/how-to-articles/527-packing-wheel-bearings

The forum is a great place to exchange or share ideas, or have a discussion on something - but sometimes not the easiest way to find information on a specific topic. Mokewerx is the best place to store all the really good bits, and the FAQ section will keep track of all the good posts and questions that seem to get asked regularly. But of course it all takes time!

I have to be honest. I thought Pete was going to take photo's of everything..from taking the wheel off up to putting the wheel back in..so we know how to take the wheel bering out..

If this is the type of thing you want to know Mav, then this is what we need to know! Doesn't mean it will happen tomorrow - but if someone is replacing bearings, then they may think to take a few photos and write something to go with them. Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what people are interested in. ;)

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:01:05 AM »
Hi its not just me. But there are lots of new members that may want to know how to do it. Photos are just easier than reading it.
I sometimes have to read something a few times to understand what is written down. All i use is simple words and write how i talk.
Thats why i love photos.

Please dont get me wrong. I love what Pete has done.
Maybe i should start a few myself. Atleast i maybe able to help or be corrected.

Mav

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »
We all love photos Mav  :)

I think MD's point was that people like him need people like you to tell them what they need to do the articles on.

Replacing wheel bearings is something that many old hands take for granted and Pete may well have not bothered with photo's and description of their removal/reinstallation because he assumed people knew that bit.

In short - good on you for asking for the extra info and don't be afraid to put your hand up if you want to know something. As you say, it's not just you and usually others will be wondering the same thing.

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
I thought Pete was going to take photo's of everything..from taking the wheel off up to putting the wheel back in..( dont tell me how to take a wheel off  Grin )
so we know how to take the wheel bering out..

The title does say 'How to Pack a wheel bearing...' and it does just that. :)

What you were expecting for is about another four or five articles. How to remove/refit wheel, How to remove Rear wheel bearings, How to remove front disc bearings, How to remove Front Drum bearings, How to identify problems with bearings and hubs, etc all which may be related but are not about packing a Wheel bearing with grease.

The Forum is good for asking questions, getting help and having discussions and being used as the source for good 'Information' however the MokeWerx part of the website is the best for making that information available for the long term and sharing information to people who are not on here everyday.

The off topic chat, facebook dribble and in general just the volume of posts made here everyday makes it difficult for the casual surfer to visit and hone in on the quality and useful information. Therefore the 'Best Bits' are getting moved to MokeWerx which is why the Forum came to be in 2005, as place to generate good information for the main part of the website.

Terry

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
I agree, with the dribble bit....
and I dont want to sound mean, so dont get me wrong.
But,
 why think of a person who casualy surfs the site. We are the one that make this site..( even i am still new. I hope I am making my contribution  )
We are the one that needs the info...

I am not trying to stir the pot,or am I complaining...
but the dribble makes the site what it is..otherwise we can just read a book or go on wikipedia .

as said, I will look on the werx site more..

thanks

mavro

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
Re: Forum vs MokeWerx
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
Hi,

This topic thread has been split from the 'How to pack grease into Wheel bearings' thread which spawned a bit of chat about more How-To articles and some general comments on whether the Forum or the MokeWerx side of moke.com.au are the place for such article.

It was difficult to split cleaning due to some posts having more than one topic in them so if there is something of interest to packing wheel bearings you may have to cut paste the text into a new, or one of your existing, posts in the original thread.

Terry

Offline tomhb

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
First ANYTHING MD does is TOP..I wish I was more like that...

I will have a read on the werx site.
and me, I am allmost never on here..just every now and then. ( 40 days in 8 months isnt much ? )

mav.

40 days in 8 months is 16% - and that's taking into account all 24 hours in each day. Assume you're awake for 16 hours of a day that means you're logged in for 25% of your waking life!
TomHB

1976 Land Rover Series III - runs but doesn't steer - long term project
1971 Leyland Moke 998cc - runs and registered - pet project
1998 Toyota Camry V6 - tow car/town car/work car/highway car

Offline Pete Power

• Registered Member
  • Victor Richardson Gates Adelaide Oval
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Hi TP
Can a link to Mokewerx be put on the Forum Page?

Pete

Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"
"If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours."