Author Topic: disc brake conversion  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Moke 71

• Registered Member
    • the tunnels
disc brake conversion
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »
hi all
i am looking at changing from drums to discs at the front. after a bit of research it appears there are 2 options on the market. the chinese version and the other. i was wondering if anyone has fitted the chinese version and if they have any probs. seems there is quite a price difference.
Moke 1971

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
  • Lord Mav...Scottish land owner
Re: disc brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
Hi,
i dont think money should make a differance when it comes to brakes..
its all about quality.....
For me.....I will never take a chance with cheap quality brakes because your life depends on it.
So forget about the cash and choose teh better set...
if you need to save a bit longer then just wait until you have the best...

mavro
If Life was Fair, Everyone would have a MOKE....

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
hi all
i am looking at changing from drums to discs at the front. after a bit of research it appears there are 2 options on the market. the chinese version and the other. i was wondering if anyone has fitted the chinese version and if they have any probs. seems there is quite a price difference.

Do you have a link to the Brakes you are looking at?

Terry

Offline Moke 71

• Registered Member
    • the tunnels
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
no link as they have none in stock at the moment but are due in the next shipment
Moke 1971

Offline mattsmadmini

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
Hmmmm i would be curious to see these other disc brakes...

http://minisport.com.au/prod1588.htm
^
is the 7.5" cooper s disc conversion, amazing value for $1200! not really worth putting a value on something that is used and abused every time that a car is driven... i, just out of principle wouldnt buy the cheaper chinese version, i cant imagine my brakes failing (again... yes it has happened to me before....)
Sure a set of drum brakes will stop you better first time (that is due to the amount of pad on the braking surface)

BUT

disc's with some EBC green stuff pads will suffer little to no 'fading' due to heat transfer unlike drums...

On another note, just remember to change the wheel cylinders to accommodate for the higher pressure needed to clamp disc's...

-Matt
I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness

1967 Moke - Sanchez (made it to wagga and back...)

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
I presume your talking about Moke Aust,when you say they have no stock......
If it is them your talking of, I know 2 people who have replaced there drums with these...one has them on for over 6 months, and is very happy,except he said the Pads don't wear well
the other for about 3 weeks and no complaints

Offline Moke 71

• Registered Member
    • the tunnels
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:37:13 PM »
thanks hag. yeah moke aust.

matt - i was planning on fitting 8.4s without a booster
Moke 1971

Offline mattsmadmini

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
thanks hag. yeah moke aust.

No probs there, 8.4's are usually cheaper, good value, minimum 12-13" wheels are needed.

Alot of the wheel dealers from the 60's/80's will tell you that you cant go past the 7.5" cooper s conversion... 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Booster will mean tougher pedal, but more responsive.... you'll have a great right calf in a few weeks  ;D
I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness

1967 Moke - Sanchez (made it to wagga and back...)

Offline Moke 71

• Registered Member
    • the tunnels
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
all the prices i have seen have 8.4s as dearer. where are you getting your price info from matt
Moke 1971

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
  • Lord Mav...Scottish land owner
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »
are the 8.4 all vented disc's like these ?

which is a lot better for braking as they loose there hot tempetuur a lot quicker.
which in its turn have less chance of becoming worped.

mav.
If Life was Fair, Everyone would have a MOKE....

Offline carter_GT.

• Registered Member
  • CRAZY RANGA!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
We have mini metro turbo discs on our moke, tuned down to 7.9" cause we run 10 inch wheels sometimes when doing motorkhanas. We dont run a booster, and it stops bloody hard.
-1971 Cooper S (1100, LCB extractors, 1 3/4 staight through exhaust, lightened flywheel, 1 1/2 SU, 12G295 cooper head, 12" revolutions, and best of all its mine!)
-1977 Moke (1310,40mm weber,8.4'' discs, Graham Russel cam, Quaife LSD)
-1971 Moke (bog standard 1100 and comes with free RUST)
-1976 Moke (998 *Rust bucket*)
Lots more BMC vehicles...

Offline Pre10der

• Registered Member
  • Moke owner since 1998
    • www.minimoke.net.au
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
Matt:
Booster will mean tougher pedal, but more responsive.... you'll have a great right calf in a few weeks
Care to elaborate Matt? A booster is there to make the braking easier. It works by converting the enegry from the vaccum of the intake manifold into positive pressure within the hydraulic system and hence, makes braking easier....or perhaps thats what you meant...

Mavro:
which is a lot better for braking as they loose there hot tempetuur a lot quicker.
which in its turn have less chance of becoming worped.
Vented discs are indeed designed to dissipate heat faster, and they do their job well. Dont waist your money on slotted as slotting is designed to remove dust and gas under very heavy nd constant braking however, let's face it, this would never be necessary on a road going Moke. Slotting is designed for track use and would offer little to no benefit on public road systems with speed limits.

You may want to check with the local regulations on that. Some states require boosters (aka. servo's) to be fitted to Mini's/Moke's with disc brakes. The common VH44 booster is what most people opt for these days.

You will need to fit 5/8" (from memory) slave cylinders on the rear so as to prevent your rear wheels from locking up.

For interest sake, you may like to read about possible custom options which can arguably work out cheaper or around the same price and when engineered correctly with, much greater efficiency. I have some writing on my setup here: http://www.minimoke.net.au/rest_brakes.htm - apologies for the slowness of the site....ill get around to migrating it over to Joomla or Liferay one day....

Ian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:23:19 PM by Pre10der »
1978 Californian ~ 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes, Ground up resto. completed Dec 08.
Full details at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Offline Pre10der

• Registered Member
  • Moke owner since 1998
    • www.minimoke.net.au
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »
Also for interest sake, you can see the location of the booster I fitted to my Moke here:

I have heard of others mounting them in the side box next to the driver which wouldn't be a bad spot so long as your vaccum hose is long enough to reach from the manifold through the side box.

Ian
1978 Californian ~ 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes, Ground up resto. completed Dec 08.
Full details at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
Cooper S 7 1/2" disks are not  much better than drums on a 13" wheel moke and they cost too much, leave them for the Minis and little wheelers. There are several options of 8.4" disks or greater. I have unboosted metro 4 pots and ventilated 8.4" disks on my current Moke and they are excellent. I outbraked a modern car and nearly got tail-ended during a sudden stop in traffic last week. The standard non-ventilated two pot calipers are still very good, and a lot cheaper, especially if you can get a decent secondhand set.

I know very little about the Chinese ones, but aren't they single pot sliding calipers? That style is generally less well regarded, they have a tendency to stick in dusty or muddy conditions.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline spider

• Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:09:19 AM »
Hey Pre10der, looks like you only have boosted fronts, not the best for balance, but the rears don't do much anyway. Ever thought about a booster set up from a Rover Mini?

Cooper S 7 1/2" disks are not  much better than drums on a 13" wheel moke and they cost too much, leave them for the Minis and little wheelers. There are several options of 8.4" disks or greater. I have unboosted metro 4 pots and ventilated 8.4" disks on my current Moke and they are excellent. I outbraked a modern car and nearly got tail-ended during a sudden stop in traffic last week. The standard non-ventilated two pot calipers are still very good, and a lot cheaper, especially if you can get a decent secondhand set.

I know very little about the Chinese ones, but aren't they single pot sliding calipers? That style is generally less well regarded, they have a tendency to stick in dusty or muddy conditions.

Tim

I would have to agree with Tim on the Cooper S (7.5") Discs on a big wheeler. Bigger wheels means more leverage, needing a bigger diameter disc.

On those Chinese Discs, I haven't seen them but if they are a floating caliper - YUK!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:12:25 AM by spider »