Author Topic: Disc brake pistons  (Read 1308 times)

Offline moke2b

• Registered Member
Disc brake pistons
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Ok Maddog or Terry, this will i'm sure be an easy answer.  I am following the rebuild of the calipers that Maddog has kindly illustrated on the mokeworx page.  My question is in one of the pics there is a piston that has a higher edge on one side to the other. My calipers have four of these pistons.  I don't believe they are oem? Is there any particular way they are to go in to the caliper?
Oh my god.... will it ever go?

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Re: Disc brake pistons
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
Hi m2b,

The ones with the cut away section in my photo are the original chrome pistons. It is to help stop brake squeal and make the pads wear evenly by reducing piston pressure on the leading edge of the pad. The new stainless ones don't have it anymore, and use a shim with cut outs instead. Not sure about the new chrome pistons.

When you put them back, try to get the cut out part of the piston at the top of the caliper as it will be when bolted on - the easiest way to work it out is to point the cut out at the bleed screw on the inner caliper half or the fluid hole at the top of the outer half.

Mind you, all the ones I've pulled apart were all over the place! Then again, they didn't work that well either........ ;D

Hope this helps.

Cheers, MD.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:54:50 AM by Maddog »
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
Hi,

This is the article being referred to here, but I must admit  I can't see which piston is being discussed.

http://www.moke.com.au/modifications-and-repairs/471-caliper-overhaul

Terry

PS. Nice article MD

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
I can't see which piston is being discussed

The one on the left Terry (bit hard to see though).

MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline moke2b

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
Yep, nail on the head and all that! ;D you guys r awesome cheers! 8)
Oh my god.... will it ever go?