Author Topic: twas the phantoms cv  (Read 10865 times)

Offline spicemoke

• Registered Member
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
twas the phantoms cv
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
as a back ground, to the other post about metal fatigue in a CV
between some health hiccups and a smokey engine  - Tamworth was out of the question. Terry very very kindly came and had a look at the Phantom,
after which we spent some time at the orphanage prepping the Phantom for the trip.  We then had a wonderful "test drive" - which in fact was the best run I have ever had in the phantom, - and I headed home with a big silly grin from ear to ear  ;D(note no work was done on the area of the cv's)
for those who know the area, I came over the kinglake road onto the slide and headed down the mountain towards Dixons creek.

about two k's down I was on a straight, doing 70-80, and about to brake as I headed into the next hard left bend.  suddenly the phantom shuddered, lurched, as the front drivers side wheel flew off, I braked but the pedal went straight to the floor. We were sliding straight towards the edge of the very fast way down the mountain, baby spice was in the car next to me.  I swung the car at the high side with the intent of running if possible into the side to stop us, someone was looking after us and there was a side bit that was washed out, it caught us and stopped us without hitting the side.   :)
after the screaming stopped (oh was that me :o) I got out and ran back to get the tyre off the road, you can imagine my suprise when I saw the drum casing still attatched.  My baby spice climbed on my lap and had a good little cry.  
unfortuneately it took two and a half hours for the towies to come, due to trees down, so we had a long wet time huddled in the phantom in a precarious spot as trucks and buses thundered over us, i was pretty scared of the trees over the top of us as the storm hit, they are all dead from black saturday and a lot have been falling over in the rain.  We couldnt get out though as there was no where safe to go to.  and of course my mobile went flat :-\, a kind guy helped call the racv, some local coppers were called by concerned passerbys at the end and came and sat behind us with the blueys on to help us.

I spoke to terry the next morning, and he was amazing coming over to pick the phantom up (i'll be honest here at this stage I cant even look at it) He even conferred with the guys who helped originially with the phantom re old or new cv's and from his  post is clearly trying to work it all out for us - because at this stage I am too scared to get in  unless I get to understand what happened. Please remember that is the second time my youngest daughter  was in the phantom in trouble without brakes.
so there it is - sounds like a bit of a novel and dramatic when I read it back - but its what happened - and terry's right Im still shaking :(
I guess the main point of me bothering to post this is too say yes we love our cars, and we often do them up, or run them, on a shoe string - but we need to look out where its crucial to get it right, regardless of money. A check of my paper work showed I kept the old cv's to save money - dosent feel like a bargain just now. but are the new ones any good or cheap copies?? I would like to be the last one this happens too.   ;) if possible  
thanks big time terry, and newie who copped it on the first night when I was still really shook up!  I feel bad that after all terrys work I really cant see me going to Tamworth now - just too much needs to be done to trust it again.  Mybe thats not logical but after my job for twenty years I dont scare easy - and well..........
sorry about the length of the thread - I think I just vented.  ;D -
now off to the lounge for a jimmy or two 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:11:35 PM by spicemoke »
The Phantom 78 Californian
4 seater or two adults and one dog.
Old jungle saying - "When ghost who walks drives - its in a moke"

Offline CQ_Moke

• Registered Member
Re: twas the phantoms cv
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
dam! Glad you two are ok, in the end that is the important thing... I hope you can regain confidence in the phantom soon...
1978 Californian "restored" and enjoying daily :)
1981 "in progress" SHMBO's car

Offline Mr Spotlights

• Registered Member
    • Mr Spotlights
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
Sounds scary, I am glad you are all ok.

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »
Glad to hear no one was hurt and your Ok :o.....A 6x pac of Jimmy's and it all goes away ;D

Offline Noddy

• Registered Member
  • Why are there so many nuts and bolts left??
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
Glad to hear you all came out uninjured.

I know with flying the best way to regain confidence in a plane that has just done somthing funny and unexpected, even after knowing it like the back of your hand, is to imediately go fly it again.

It might work with the Phantom when its fixed.
Mokes and Tiger Moths are the same, wherever they stop, they mark their teritory!

Offline mavro

• Registered Member
  • Lord Mav...Scottish land owner
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »
WOW.
sounds like a movie stunt..that would scare the sh!t out of me too.
but u are both ok. and what Noddy said,get back on the road when the car is fixed...
If Life was Fair, Everyone would have a MOKE....

Offline martin

• Registered Member
  • ST - the shaky moke!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:47:27 PM »
Glad that you and baby spice are ok - that sounds like a real scare.
Martin
Stormtrooper - the white moke with the dark side

Offline Ian

• Registered Member
  • http://www.moke.com.au/Forum/gallery/545_20_10_09_
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
I think I'd still be in shock as well  :-[
You have to try and get back in the saddle so to speak, might be a slow process but I'm sure you'll do it.

Ian
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Halfpint

• Registered Member
  • I know I gotta stop one day, Just not yet! Tony.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »
Wow! So glad you are both physicaly ok. Pretty scary incident, and we hope you will be ok.
Just like everyone else said, We hope you get back in, and get back out in the phantom. She is a nice piece of work.
Halfpint and Mrs halfpint (Tony and Christine)

Even Jet engines have oil leaks.

Offline nickomokeo

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
Geeeez Spicey, what a story.  Glad to hear it didn't end as badly as it could have.

You will need to change Phantoms name to Robin (as in Reliant Robin).

Nicko

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:01:53 PM »
Wow Spicey - you have had a run of bad luck lately! :o I don't blame you for losing a bit of confidence.

Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Hi,

Other than the CV issue, I had a bit of a look today to see what the damage is on the Phantom and the score card is pretty minor considering.

One ball bearing with no balls in it but the cage is still in the hub and intact.
One backing plate that is reshaped on the bottom and has considerably less metal.
A slight shiney spot on the exhaust where the dirt has been sanded off by a bit of bitumen.
Just a slight bur of the lower ball joint thread remians on the bottom side of the lower arm.
Just a bit of the lower arm shaved off and a touch off the castor bar bolt.
Brake shoes and badly scared but fortunately needed replacing as they are quite worn.
The seats also showed signs of skidmarks!!

Not a mark on the paint work on the car or bumper which was quite fortunate that we had wound it up off the bumstop earlier in the day so the ball joint and backing plate did most of the braking.

Terry

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »
I'm glad you are both ok! just reading your story has given me the chills  :o

Chin up Spicey, we're thinking of you. If you need any parts for the Phantom let us know'. I've got a bunch of drum front-end parts.

Casper
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:10:53 PM by Casper »

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Brake shoes are badly scared

Terry

Well, you can't blame them for being scared. Imagine what it looked like from their viewpoint  :)

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline 77Devil

• Registered Member
  • A younger Dev
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »
Wow, Spicey,

Sounds like you got out of this fairly lightly.  I first read about your day, when you posted on FB, but cancelled my comment before posting it as I didn't want to upset you.  I had images of panel damage all sorts of nasty damage to Phantom.  it is so nice to here you and baby spice are ok and also nice to know the Phantom is relatively undamaged.  Just let time heal you wounds, Phantom will be trust worthy again, See when Hamish is keen to jump in, then you will know he is ready.

Cheers

Dev

Going to be busy in '11