Author Topic: Disc brake change over  (Read 3515 times)

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
Disc brake change over
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »

A pair of Disc brake drive shafts have recently come into my possession ....my question is can anyone give me a complete blow by blow description how I go about installing these stuffers [totally idiot proof]....That is removing the old drum set up and replacing with these whilst on the car , although possibly moving to melb shortly and requiring an engine
rebuild, already organized, I thought it would be nice to at least try these for a couple of weeks before I go....and get my hands dirty ....have checked previous posts , but nothing on a complete job .....thanks HAG

Oh under the blue plastic is the complete race and balls and rubber boot, CVs and are probably in better nic than what I have on now

Mini hubs and Honda discs...with an adapter plate

Hag......soon to be dirty handed
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:35:44 PM by Hag »

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Re: Disc brake change over
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Hi Hag,

Nice pickup! They shouldn't be too hard to put on - provided all the ball joints and bearings etc. are in good nick. I assume they have the correct brake hoses that will bolt straight up.

I'll probably forget something, but here's a quick list....

1. Slip a bit of flat metal between the rebound rubber and the top arm - as thick as will fit. This will hold the top arm up and make things a lot easier. Make sure it can't fall out!

2. Jack her up and pull the wheels. Underneath undo the boots on the pot joints and peel the boots back.

3. Undo the hard brake lines into the hoses through the little window on the inner mudguard. Make sure the nut turns and not the tube inside it. Undo the big nut and pull the hose free.

4.With a ball joint splitter, pop the steering arm and bottom ball joint. You should be able to push the bottom arm down a bit to release the pin from the arm. If the arm won't move enough, it's usually because of the big washers on the tie rod hitting the subframe. Remove the tie rod if it gives trouble.

5. Now pop the top ball joint and the hub should come free complete with driveshaft! You may find the pin hard to get out of the top arm, as the driveshaft can hit on the bottom of the hole in the subframe. Hopefully the bit of flat in step one stops this.

You can do the ball joints in either order (top or bottom first) - I just can't remember which is easier.

Putting the new ones in is just the reverse. Just watch the balls don't fall out of the pot joint. I usually pack them with new grease and they stay put, but you can wrap them in Glad wrap if they give trouble (apparently the Glad wrap won't hurt anything if it stays in there, but I've never done it).

You may find it easier to pull the new ones apart (it is hard to undo the CV nut while they're off though), and put the driveshafts in first, then the hubs and then the discs. Calipers can go on last. Check the steering arms are the same too.

I think Terry is doing a "how to" on this, so he may have more tips or even photos.

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
You can do the ball joints in either order (top or bottom first) - I just can't remember which is easier.

Remove the lower arm from the bottom ball joint first and then remove the top ball joint from the upper arm. Why, see next comment.

If the arm won't move enough, it's usually because of the big washers on the tie rod hitting the subframe. Remove the tie rod if it gives trouble.

I have found the problem with removing the top ball joint first is that the driveshaft stops on the edge of the subframe and prevents the hub assembly from being able travel as far as needed to remove it from the top arm. Inserted a nut or washer one the rebound rubber does help this situation but is it a lot simpler to just undo the lower arm first.

I think Terry is doing a "how to" on this, so he may have more tips or even photos.
Yes and yes but don't hold your breath waiting. :)

Terry

Offline spider

• Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
hi Hag,

I do hate to be a party pooper, but nice as those brakes are, they are not an Original set up. They have been made up from brakes from another car.

While they look like they'll go on OK, you really should get an engineers' certificate on them. I don't have any doubts about their ability to stop your Moke, but if (heaven forbid) you should ever be involved in an accident, even if it was not your fault, you could have some liabilty because these would be deemed an un-approved modification. It will also give your insuance company an 'out' not to come to the party in regards to considering any claim.

I don't think it would be a hassle to get engineering approval and I would think not expensive, just be aware.

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »
Thanks MD....Going to start tomorrow....how hard can it be ??? ??? ???  although I'm still a little in the dark with the steel over the rebound rubber ??? ??? ??? and will the shaft come away easily from the pot joint

Yes and yes but don't hold your breath waiting. Smiley

Terry.....Please, Please

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi,

Just remove the metal clip or cable tie from around the pot joint and then when you have everything ready to remove the drive shaft and the inner pot joint and the six ball bearings will simply come out with the boot. Watch for the balls dropping on the floor, especially if you knock the drive shaft on the subframe on the way out.

Once out, straight away put a plastic shopping bag over the end, like your new ones have, and tie it off with a rubber band to keep the balls in and the dirt out.

The idea of the 'spacer' between the top arm and the rebound rubber is that you put it in there before you jack up the wheel and then once the weight is taken off the road wheel the space jams the top arm higher, like using a suspension compression tool, and this helps with clearances when removing the hub assembly as the top and bottom arms will now be further apart.

Terry

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Ah....the fog is clearing....Thanks Terry

Just another Question , does the pot joint boot require steel clamp bands or will cable ties suffice    HAG
is CV grease ok for the Pot joint
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:11:38 PM by Hag »

Offline nickomokeo

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
Don't you remove the rebound rubber first?

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
does the pot joint boot require steel clamp bands or will cable ties suffice

I guess a cable tie is better than nothing........but you really can't beat the proper ones. If you get the long ones they will go around twice, do up very tight and lie flat. Zip ties tend to pull the boot around the joint leaving a small gap under the locking bit.

CV grease is perfect for pot joints - or any other molybdenum disulphide grease.

Don't you remove the rebound rubber first?

If you are taking the top arm out icko, yes - gives a bit more clearance for the top arm to drop. Or do you mean take it out so the block doesn't squash the rubber? That would work.

Of course, if you have Hi-Lo's Hag - problem solved! Just wind them right down once you get the wheel off, put a jack under the bottom ball joint to lift the top arm up and then put a block under it. An alternative is to just undo everything as above, then if you need to, put a jack under the shock mount to lift the top arm - just be careful it doesn't fall on you.

Hard to explain, but it will all be clear when you do it. ;)

Cheers, MD.

Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline BrisMoke

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi Steve, sorry to hear you might be shifting south....but as for the cable ties....use the steel bands...I've had problems with the cable tie 'knot' not clearing the hub and it will strip off. You can get the proper bands from Repco...get several as I have broken them before and had to go get another. Cheers, clyde

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »
Hi,

I don't use cable ties for any of the CV boots for the reasons mentioned above. There is a special tool you can buy for the metal strip clamps otherwise a set of pliers can be used.

I prefer to use a double loop of a nice wire I have here as I think it sinks into the rubber a little better and doesn't allow water in or the boot to slip and you don't have clearance problems with the outer CV boot.

Terry

Offline aussieclown

• AC SMB
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
Good Old Fencing wire works a treat for me

Easy to put on and remove when required and cheap as chips

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Offline suspend6

• Registered Member
  • I took an IQ Test and the results were negative...
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:27:45 AM »
AC,  (which really stands for  Alloy Checkerplate)

I heard that thin strips of checkerplate are also good.  :D ;D :D ;D

Cheers, Sus

Phil Kirby,
Recycling Afficiondo - "waste not, want not"
Proud owner of Maurice - 1980 "almost Californian"

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity !

Offline eM-Cubed

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
Good Morning Ladies, Gentlemen and/or ( please insert appropriate for self ),

A kit is available from Tridon. CV Boot Combo kit. http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=480&P=68667

Part No. CVCP10..
Comprises of S/S CV Boot Clamps and 'Banding Tool with Cutter'.

A 'must have' for every Moke.!
Assembly of a 'must have' tool kit for each car provides the next owner an opportunity to maintain the vehicle in operational condition more easily. Its life expectency could lengthen.

Every Moke alive now should remain so.

Excellent tool with straps of various lengths. Additional straps available.
Get to know this store better if you like tools.

M3

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »
Hi,

A better page for this discussion would be ....

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=480&P=68651

So anyone in Brisbane needing CV boot work, take it around to Hag as he has to buy at least 20, if not 500, clamps so he is likely to ave a few spares.

Terry