Author Topic: New tires and then I smoked em up!  (Read 3046 times)

Offline MollyMoke

• Registered Member
New tires and then I smoked em up!
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
Well not really.
I recently got a new set of Super Trax mags for the Moke, rush off to my tire guy, 185/60/13 on the front 205/60/13 rear (smaller fronts as I have the auto and diff ration is shite).
Put them on at the place (looks great, but a bit close/wider than expected...) and drive home (knowing they are too wide and probably going to hit the front flares on bumps) only 10 mins.
Well pull up the drive and theres smoke coming from the front right guard  :shock:
Looks like I either loose a lot of weight, or loose the rubber flare thingies!

Looks 'ok' with no passengers.

Front mag, guess I need to paint my brakes now!

So off to the shed, welder and some fence rail! Don't worry some winter I will get around to de-rusting and painting the whole car!

That is the back done, I shortened the mudflaps as well to stop them hitting the ground when the car is loaded and in reverse. Hope to do the front tomorrow.

Should keep the Police happy once it is painted up (sorry about the angle shot!).

From the rear

I think when I do it properly, I'll remove the original extension bits, and create new wider ones, the old ones are not very straight!

So what do you think of my mags then?
Mollymoke 11/1970 held together by rust at this stage, but having too much fun to stop driving it!
Percy 1969 Mini Panelvan the new toy.
Problem: Do we take the 4 door with 2 seats or the 4 seater with no doors!?
Zed 2007 Viszla pup always shak'n his arse in joy!

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
Re: New tires and then I smoked em up!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Hi,

The rims look like they are worth more than the Moke :)

What width are the rims?

Do you have a photo of the whole Moke so we can see both rims and the overall look? Up close it is hard to say whether they suit the Moke or not.

Terry

Offline Pre10der

• Registered Member
  • Moke owner since 1998
    • www.minimoke.net.au
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
What is the offset on those rims? I have 205's all round on mine with 3mm spacers and they dont stick out anywhere near that far! Pay attention to the front wheels only in this photo as the rears don't have the spacers fitted in this shot (this was before I had it back on the road).

In actual fact, in its current state, the tyres don't protrude past the rubber mud guards even with the 3mm spacers fitted.

Ian
1978 Californian ~ 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes, Ground up resto. completed Dec 08.
Full details at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
I do like the wheels molly, just need to paint the spare the same or buy an extra one.

I hate it how cheap things are in the UK, this place has them for 58 pounds each http://www.minispares-online.co.uk/?cat_id=1&sub_cat_id=13&prod_id=1964  even if that was $200 each still cheaper than
in Aust they are $1895 with tyres, http://www.minisport.com.au/prod1478.htm

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline Ian

• Registered Member
  • http://www.moke.com.au/Forum/gallery/545_20_10_09_
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:58:31 PM »
Don't you just love them wheels, oh and the exchange rate at the moment!
Ian
Victoria Point
Brisbane
Qld

74 Moke - modified BMW K1100 cylinder head, 1330cc thick flange (ex automatic), A+ crank & Rods lightened and balanced, 4 pin diff, intercooled Turbo. Baboon brake conversion, uprated steering/suspension,

HSV Hunter!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline MollyMoke

• Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:20:58 AM »
Hi,

The rims look like they are worth more than the Moke :)

What width are the rims?

Do you have a photo of the whole Moke so we can see both rims and the overall look? Up close it is hard to say whether they suit the Moke or not.

Terry

Yep, funny how we add value, but what is 'ones own' car worth?! The disc brake setup (few years old now) cost more than the car, as did the complete stereo! The wheels were about $550.00 AUD and that includes a fifth wheel, but it is too fat for the rear bar, that will change when it goes 'into the shed for a winter holiday', actually I have decided to buy a 6th wheel so I have 2 spares/pair of matching trailer wheels.
The rims are 7" about 3" in and 4" out (I'm not sure how to define 'offset' correctly), and why do we still measure rims in imperial I had to find an old ruler!
So Pre10der do your tires rub inside the front? My 5.5 rims did with 185/70/13, but now with these rims there is plenty of room!
My car had 1" step drums at the rear when I got it (but not the front?) and the discs add an inch as well I think.
Yes Moe, I have frequented mini sport, but decided to remove the middle man, cost about 1/2 and they were delivered!

Terry I'll take more photos when I get the front done.

Cheerio, and Happy Aussie Day
Mollymoke 11/1970 held together by rust at this stage, but having too much fun to stop driving it!

Offline BrisMoke

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
Hi, they look great. There is one consideration as well....tyres protruding past the outside of the guards are a roadworthy violation in most - if not all - states. Hence: the rubber guards. You can make the rubber guards stick out a bit further by bending the metal brackets at a higher angle forcing the rubber guards out a bit more....or make another set of brackets with a higher angle.
cheers, Clyde

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
So Pre10der do your tires rub inside the front? My 5.5 rims did with 185/70/13, but now with these rims there is plenty of room!

That suggest they are the 'less than correct' offset for the Moke. To see how far off the offset lay a rim face down and put a straight edge across the edge of the rim now face up. Measure from the straight edge to the back of the mounting face and note what it is. Measure the width of the wheel and then halve it. Subtract the first figure, rim edge to mounting face from the half of the width and that will give you an offset. The Moke rim is normally 33mm positive.

This is a nice simple explanation with pictures for how to do it.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/wheeloffset.html

Terry

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
Hi,

and for something a little more interactive......

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Terry

Offline Pre10der

• Registered Member
  • Moke owner since 1998
    • www.minimoke.net.au
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »

Yes they do, as did the original 175's. The spacers help and they aren't a major problem as I tend to avoid U-turns as much as possible :)

Ian
1978 Californian ~ 1275 A+, 3.44:1 diff, 1.75" HIF6 SU, Custom 9.25" Camira Disc Brakes, Ground up resto. completed Dec 08.
Full details at: http://www.minimoke.net.au

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
  • Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
Sounds to me like an offset/width issue. 

My Honda disk conversion was deliberately set up to keep the track spacing the same as the original half-inch spacer drums.  Hence my 13 x 5.5 rims with 185/60 tyres tuck neatly within the factory rubber guards and the tyres *just* scrape the inner guard on full lock. 

My (recently purchased) Mini race car project came with 13 x 7 superlights with a huge amount of dish, similar to your wheels mollymoke.  I haven't tried them on the Moke yet, but I reckon they will stick out a good 1.5 to 2 inches.   :o
Brett Nicholson
**I AM GOING TO MOKE MUSTER 2011, ARE YOU?**
1971 Morris Mini Moke - 1275 4spd Auto - MOPOKE.
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Long Term Resto - Trixie
1987 Austin Mini 1275 - Rustbucket!
1974 Volkswagen Superbug L - Olive
1975 Toyopet Corona Hardtop - FOR SALE
1985 Toyota MR2 USDM Import.
2009 Nissan Mokefinder TD.

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »

Is there an issue with tyres sticking out ?  ;) ;)

Cops won't say anything as long as you have the correct stickers on them :

;D ;D ;D

Darth
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:47:20 PM by Darth Moke »

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
  • Now with the Stigs tick of approval
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
G'day Darth,
             At least the police can tell if the tyres are bald or not ;D

smoken

SWOMBY won't let me, I have to go to a stupid Wedding. :(

Offline MollyMoke

• Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »
Ok finally got around to taking some pics and measuring my rims:
Old rims were 33 mm negative offset 5.5" stock sunraysias (Guess Terry is always right!).
New mags are 5mm positive offset 7" wide.
My calculations suggest this is 39mm wider on each side (total of 78mm), which I think is more than the law would like..

But (as Clyde suggested) I have made my flares wider (by 38mm) to cover the tread better, interestingly I previously had a 4/4 with rubber flare extensions and got defected as 'the rubber does not protect people or vehicles from the tires'
So here are my pics of the current extensions, I have already looked into replacing the original extensions with 80mm wide steel ones made similar to the original design. These will be welded on and painted the same as the car so they won't be so obvious!
I added a bit of bling aluminium propeller plate (like checker plate...) which actually covers the range of holes I found when I removed the old rubber the PO had put there.
While the welder was out I added a reverse light mount, nice bright halogen!

So what is with Photobucket, seems very hard to copy the 'IMG' links, or it just me?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:33:21 PM by MollyMoke »