Author Topic: Gunson Colortune  (Read 4792 times)

Offline middie

• Registered Member
  • Wiz & Turnip Boy - a disaster waiting to happen
Gunson Colortune
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »
Just had a great couple of weeks with Darf, and then flew across to New York for a bit of a rest  :D :D

While window shopping through a few auto parts stores I came across this handy tool. It is a Gunson Colortune which is used to make sure your carbie is running the right mixture.

It is a "dummy" spark plug with glass sides and you have a mirror which allows you to see the colour of the flame when the spark ignites the fuel. You adjust the mixture until you get a nice "bunsen burner" blue and then you have the correct mixture. Cost $50US but I think it may come in handy.

Also picked up a Gunson "something" which is used for twin carbies to make sure they are both in synch with "blowing and breathing". $US30 and they will both fit in my cabin luggage.

Be interested in whether anyone has used one of these before, and whether they are worthwhile, or should be left in the terminal????

Wiz the Shopaholic
'Life isn't like a bowl  of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......'

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
Re: Gunson Colortune
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:32 AM »
Thought I'd read about these somewhere. Here's an old thread with a few opinions to start you off Wiz:

http://www.moke.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=1573.0

Be interesting to hear what TasTyger thought of it as he started that thread.

Sounds like an interesting tool for those of us who are less mechanically able than others.

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline aussieclown

• AC SMB
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
I have this kit,

Since the day of the good petrol demise, that is where you know your mixture is good as you have a grey pipe, as I am a novice at tuning SU Carbs, this kit make life very easy,

I took it down to Mokefest and I think Smokey used it.

For a novice like myself, it is a very easy method of getting the mixture right. I definantly is worth while for people like me

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »
For a novice like myself, it is a very easy method of getting the mixture right. I definantly is worth while for people like me

AC

Sounds like it might be a bit too basic for you Wiz. I'll take it off your hands next time I'm down your way and you can go on tuning the carbie by ear  ;D.

1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline HAG

• Registered Member
  • Cough Cough
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Gday Mr Middie, Sounds like just the thing, where did you get it from....Iam in the states next month and wouldn't mind grabbing one....If any one else is interested let me know....HAG

Offline moke

• Registered Member
    • The Mini Moke Club
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »
I have had my Colortune for over 20 years and it's still working well. There are loads of them on eBay at the moment.
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Offline miniDave

• Registered Member
  • Central Coast, NSW . . . ideal Moke country
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »
Just had a great couple of weeks with Darf, and then flew across to New York for a bit of a rest  :D :D

While window shopping through a few auto parts stores I came across this handy tool. It is a Gunson Colortune which is used to make sure your carbie is running the right mixture.

It is a "dummy" spark plug with glass sides and you have a mirror which allows you to see the colour of the flame when the spark ignites the fuel. You adjust the mixture until you get a nice "bunsen burner" blue and then you have the correct mixture. Cost $50US but I think it may come in handy.

Also picked up a Gunson "something" which is used for twin carbies to make sure they are both in synch with "blowing and breathing". $US30 and they will both fit in my cabin luggage.

Be interested in whether anyone has used one of these before, and whether they are worthwhile, or should be left in the terminal????

Wiz the Shopaholic

Ol buddy. ol chum - is it possible to borrow? Have to tune a set of HS2's.

Cheers
1977 Moke
1979 Moke
1965 Mini Deluxe
1967 Mini Deluxe
1968 HK GTS Monaro
2004 CV8 Monaro

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »
Gday Mr Middie, Sounds like just the thing, where did you get it from....Iam in the states next month and wouldn't mind grabbing one....If any one else is interested let me know....HAG

They actually come from the UK. I got mine from a car accessory shop years ago. They just ordered it in. They are of limited use at helping you set a carby up, say for finding the correct needle, but are quite good checking that the carby is in tune.

There is a method for using them to set the carby up which involves running the car with the wheels jacked up, sort of a home dyno tune. You'd want to be careful not to do a "Ferris Beuler" though. I've never used one for twins, but Gunson make a thing called a carbalancer too.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
  • Now with the Stigs tick of approval
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »
G'day,
          When i used Aussie Clowns at mokefest I Did it
twice in number 1 spark plug and number 2 so i could
get a a better comparison between thee 2 carbys. it
worked great. I wouldn't mind one myself.

smoken

SWOMBY won't let me, I have to go to a stupid Wedding. :(

Offline aussieclown

• AC SMB
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
heya Newie,

Middie tuning by ear is how he got himself into trouble, unless Middie is colourblind, it is Turnip proof

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like.

Casper

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline middie

• Registered Member
  • Wiz & Turnip Boy - a disaster waiting to happen
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »
Ol buddy. ol chum - is it possible to borrow? Have to tune a set of HS2's.

Cheers

My dear miniD. I would be more that happy to give you a borrow, I'm also getting one of those carbalancer things that Tim was mentioning.

I was going to get one off ebay but, seeing I'm in the States and postage was only $5 to my daughter's house, I took the easy option of sticking in my cabin luggage.

I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like.

Casper

Howdy young Casp and Hag (I hope you can understand my French/American accent) I eventually bought it off this site, but they don't appear to mail overseas without a lot of fuss.
http://www.etoolcart.com/gunson-colortune-14mm-sparkplug-19-4074-100.aspx
I walked into a couple of Car Shops over here and they looked at me as if I was from another planet. Didn't have a clue what a Gunson was (or was it my French/American/Oz accent ???

G'day,
          When i used Aussie Clowns at mokefest I Did it
twice in number 1 spark plug and number 2 so i could
get a a better comparison between thee 2 carbys. it
worked great. I wouldn't mind one myself.

smoken

Bonjour Studdley. You are very welcome to have a lend, if you can rip it out of MiniD's hands. I should imagine you would only need to use once and then your SU's would stay perfectly in tune :D :D :D :D

heya Newie,

Middie tuning by ear is how he got himself into trouble, unless Middie is colourblind, it is Turnip proof

AC

I am colourblind AC, but I really got myself into trouble when I was tuning my exhaust pipe by ear ;D And NOTHING IS TURNIP PROOF :o :o

Wiz in Orlando with a burnt ear
'Life isn't like a bowl  of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......'