Author Topic: another rear end mod.  (Read 2908 times)

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
  • Now with the Stigs tick of approval
another rear end mod.
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
G'day,
        As you know I'm beefing up the Ratster. I hope that next year if an outback tour is organised i might be able to tagalong. So with this in mind plus my tendancy to go that bit further than maybe i should. I'm implementing Terrys suggestions and here is the next one.
   As you may remember i bent my hilo rods in the rear.

They bent because the suspension had bottomed out but needed to go more so the rods bent instead. I strengthened them but if the same thing happened again they won't bend so what might happen?  The next weakest link in the suspension is the trailing arm pin these have been known to sheer.
No big drama it just means you have to fit a new one. (assuming you carry a spare and on a big outback tour that would be advisable) But what happens is the back wheel is being dragged, so when the pin breaks the wheel will try to turn into the wheel arch and in doing so the tyre rubs on the rear subframe bolt. Depending on how fast you're going and how long it takes to pull up the tyre gets a big gouge in it maybe even stuffing it.
   To overcome this you need to cut a piece of steel about 50 - 60mm long by about 30mm wide. Drill a hole in one end a fraction bigger than the diameter of the rear subframe bolt.  Remove the subframe bolt nut and fit the plate over it replace the nut and cut off the protruding thread. it will look like this:

You then get a hammer and bend the steel back over the nut. Making sure the fold is pointing down to the ground                              

The idea is that the tyre only rubs on the flat spot and therefore doesn't get destroyed leaving you with just the trailing arm pin to worry about.

Smoken      with thanks to Terry
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:55:29 PM by moemoke »

SWOMBY won't let me, I have to go to a stupid Wedding. :(

Offline Newie

• Registered Member
Re: another rear end mod.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »
Pure gold Smokey  :)

These How To threads definitely need their own section.

Newie
1966 Moke - "The Gnome" Current work in progress
1979 Californian - Going, but a long long long way from roadworthy.
Plus a couple of other garden gnomes for parts

I'm a genius in disguise............It's a bloody good disguise-no one ever suspects a thing

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
Hi,

The only problem is the metal is at the wrong angle. The bend is forward of the bolt, it should be below the bolt so that when the tyre hits it it doesn't grab the sharp edge, so turn Smokens picture 90 degrees anti clockwise or tilt your computer screen to the left :)

Terry

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
g'day,
        So the fold points to the ground does it?

smoken

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:12:13 PM »
Smoken,

Yes. Look at the direction of the wheel travel at the point of the bolt and you will see it is going almost vertical at that point.

Terry

Offline SMOKEN

• Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
G'day Terry,
                 You're right. i'll modify the original post.

thanks smoken

Offline appache

• Registered Member
    • Appache's page on our website
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
Smokey, once you've modified the original post, can you make a note, so that anyone reading this in the future isnt confused as to how it should or shouldnt go?
Aimee
1979 - 1100 - 2 seater hardtop - soon to be remodeled??