Author Topic: Moke Pedal Car  (Read 6132 times)

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
Re: Moke Pedal Car
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
AC, it looks amazing! But it must weigh a tonne, I hope your daughter has strong legs.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline aussieclown

• AC SMB
  • Registered Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »
The weight is actually about 4 kg so far. The steel Iam using I have to used 0.6mm wire and it does blow a hole through it on occasions hence the welding is very tricky. Also the steel tubing I am using is not a complete box tube, It is shaped like  the letter "G" with 1/4 missing out of the wall.

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Offline sa mokin

• Registered Member
  • Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Excellent work - it's gonna be sweet - have you seen the pic in the latest edition of The Mini Experience?

There is a Californian Moke kids car on the top right of the page.
1980 Moke Californian
1976 Leyland Moke
1971 Export Moke
1966 Morris Mini Moke VIN #966 (465th Moke built in Australia)

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
The weight is actually about 4 kg so far. The steel Iam using I have to used 0.6mm wire and it does blow a hole through it on occasions hence the welding is very tricky. Also the steel tubing I am using is not a complete box tube, It is shaped like  the letter "G" with 1/4 missing out of the wall.

Gee, it looks a lot heavier than that. What will you cover it with? Aluminium?

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline Samm

• Samm aka Samm
  • Registered Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
Any progress on this AC?

Offline middie

• Registered Member
  • Wiz & Turnip Boy - a disaster waiting to happen
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
Is it going to look like this AC. Naturally yours will have Checker Plate. :D :D

Wiz
'Life isn't like a bowl  of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......'

Offline Samm

• Samm aka Samm
  • Registered Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
Is it going to look like this AC. Naturally yours will have Checker Plate. :D :D

Wiz

That thing is awesome!!

Offline aussieclown

• AC SMB
  • Registered Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
where is this on

Mine will be similar, with CP of course.

Currently attempting to source a second hand mobility scooter on the cheap to power it. I fugured out that my in law live on a hill, and guess who would be pushing it up the hill.

Therefore I am going electric,

Does anybody know who has a old mobility scooter that works, everything else can be buggered except the motor and the controls,

AC

The Checker Plate King, at least it does not rust

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »
I have a mobility scooter shop around the corner from work, I dropped in the other day and asked them about motors
the one that they sell comes complete with diff, looked very nice but $750 put paid to my idea.
he said it is usually the motor the motor that packs up first so could be hard to find a goodie, maybe try farm type clearance sales
or garage sales for an older model or even an old electric wheel chair.

How fast do you want the kids to go?
A friend has made a few kids cars and he uses drive motors from computer tape drives, the motors are only about 3" diameter but he just uses an on/off switch as a controller so not very smooth.

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline Maddog

• Registered Member
  • One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
AC,

What about one of those electric cars for children? My kids had one, a red jeep. Had a motor on each wheel (so didn't need a diff), proper accelerator pedal and two speeds. Used two rechargeable 12v batteries. It got left out in the sun a bit, so the plastic body went a bit brittle, but all the running gear still worked fine.

You might pick one up cheap in the local paper. Kids grow out of them pretty quick, and they take up a lot of room.

MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

I always wanted to die in my Moke at 100......... unfortunately it won't do more than 80!

Offline Samm

• Samm aka Samm
  • Registered Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »
I'm guessing progress on this bad boy has come to an abrupt halt due to your relocation AC.
Be sure to get it sorted and bring it to the next Mokefest, im sure alot of us big kids would love a go  ;D

Samm

Offline appache

• Registered Member
    • Appache's page on our website
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 02:07:38 PM »
In fact, you could charge $1 a turn and raise funds to pay for the engine you've bought!
Aimee
1979 - 1100 - 2 seater hardtop - soon to be remodeled??

Offline Samm

• Samm aka Samm
  • Registered Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
In fact, you could charge $1 a turn and raise funds to pay for the engine you've bought!

It would easily be a $2 ride  ;D