Author Topic: Disc brake conversion  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
Disc brake conversion
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
I'm looking at upgrading from drums to discs so I'm looking for info on what and how.

If this have already been posted somewhere on this site, please point me in the direction  :) or lets start chatting.

As I understand, the main parts to obtain first are the disc swivel hubs as they are different to drums. from there it's calipers, discs etc.

What era of swivel hubs would fit a '77?

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline moemoke

• Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Moe, Victoria
Re: Disc brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »
have you seen this resent topic,  http://moke.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=2115.0
I guess it all depends on
a/ how much money you have
b/ what skills you have

So with

a/ you could buy a cooper S set up for $800 to $1500 + and have someone fit them or import
  some nice vented disc's and 4 spot calipers from the UK but you will need disc brake uprights
  to go with them
b/ you could do a honda or camira conversion, honda seems the best, probably not legal without engineers report which could cost $500 + (not real sure of cost)  but if done right (like bnicho)
they look almost factory (better than)  and no-one would know in the advent of an accident.
buy the actual honda bits is quite cheap, maybe upto $200, depends on how good your local wrecker is.
I wonder if Hyundai discs / calipers can be made to fit, or any other late model small FWd car
as they all have the same PCD as the honda and a lot of the have a floating disc which just slips over the wheel studs and is held on by the caliper, you can get new DBA disc's from supercheap, etc for about $30 each.

1976 Moke 1275cc, 1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 1976 Moke Project, 1975 Moke rust bucket, 1967 Moke rust bucket

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »
All era of disk brake swivel hubs will fit a '77. They were the same (enough) right from the 997 Cooper in 1961 to the end of Mini  in 2000. I can't recommend Cooper S disks on a Moke they are too small, if you're going to use Mini parts (easy and no engineering required) you want 8.4" disks off a post '78 Mini or a disk braked Moke. Or you can mix and match Metro Turbo 4 pot (or aftermarket) calipers and ventilated disks. Thats what I currently have but they are a bit of overkill. The standard 8.4" unventilated disks and 2 pot calipers are pretty nearly as good, a bit cheaper and a lot lighter, the Metro setup is very heavy.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian
1961 Morris Mini Traveller

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
Yeah I'd like to go standard mini/moke option, so for starters I'm looking for post '78 mini/moke swivels and 8.4" discs.

Offline TasTyger

• Registered Member
Tortuga Moke - moke with a hard shell

1980 Moke with hardtop

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »

Just asking... ( cause my Moke has standard disc brakes.... ;D ;D ;D)

Would disc brakes from a 12" moke fit on you guy's  13 mokes ?

This because there are a few rusting bodies here, I could go and chop off the brakes and send them to Oz.

(freight could be a killer, I would do it for free but I expect the owners to ask for a little money for their brakes....)

Probably the silly idea of the day, but if you don't try....

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
Darth, not a silly idea at all, probably quite a viable option if you can work out a way to do the freight relatively cheaply. They are the same brakes and they are in high demand in Australia. Most of our Minis and Mokes don't have disk brakes so the bulk of them come in from the UK.

Tim
1977 Moke Californian

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »
Tas, thanks for that, I'll keep a lookout.

Darth, sounds like a great idea, I'm up for that :) thats if its viable for all....

I'll certanly be one to put my hand up for a set.

Offline bebbinator

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 05:36:16 AM »
when you come on email me or grt in contact with me straight away so we can go into the chatroom so we can have a conversation about the subject. ;D ;D

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »
when you come on email me or grt in contact with me straight away so we can go into the chatroom so we can have a conversation about the subject. ;D ;D

Check your e-mail can't, resonpond until later tonight :)

Casper

Offline Tim

• Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
But then you need a "transiter" (something broker in english).

Customs broker, shouldn't be a big problem. They are heavy, and our quarantine people insist on old parts being very clean (cars must be very throroughly pressure washed).

Tim

1977 Moke Californian

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:24:18 AM »

quarantine people insist on old parts being very clean

Offline bnicho

• Registered Member
  • Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »
I'd be up for a set Darth.  Or even just a pair of the uprights without the disks, drive flanges and calipers.  I have everything else I need to put a set of Cooper S disks together for my Traveller project.

The Moke will remain with the Honda disks, as they work so well and keep the wheels nicely within the guards.  BTW: I have acquired some Mini 8.4" backplates to fit to my Honda disks which will make them look more factory.  :)

Customs here are hit and miss.  My Corona was supposedly steam cleaned before it left Japan and had "Quarratine Passed" stuck on teh windscreen.  But the engine bay had 30 years worth of dirt, the interior was filthy and there were cigarette butts in the ashtray and various other odds and ends in the car.  So I don't think it was cleaned nor inspected very well!
Brett Nicholson
**I AM GOING TO MOKE MUSTER 2011, ARE YOU?**
1971 Morris Mini Moke - 1275 4spd Auto - MOPOKE.
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Long Term Resto - Trixie
1987 Austin Mini 1275 - Rustbucket!
1974 Volkswagen Superbug L - Olive
1975 Toyopet Corona Hardtop - FOR SALE
1985 Toyota MR2 USDM Import.
2009 Nissan Mokefinder TD.

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Darth,
I'd be happy if I just got the uprights (swivel hubs) and calipers. It would be a very good starting point for me.

I believe it is worth a shot, never know until you try :)

I've had my own issues with customs, bringing stuff in, like binoco said, a bit hit and miss... but can be nasty if you get on the wrong side of them. I found being totally honest with them, they become very helpful.