Author Topic: Disc Brakes, if I was to ?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
Disc Brakes, if I was to ?
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »

Hi, as you may have read in Casper's topic, I might remove disc brakes from rusted mokes here. And then sell them to aussies to get filthy rich quickly and easily (not) !

Most of you already know I'm double left handed and not a very good mechanic.

So my question is : How can you remove the disc brake set easily without destroying it (I'm good at that !) ?

Here's what the portugese set up looks like :

Offline drmini in aust

• Registered Member
Re: Disc Brakes, if I was to ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »
Remove the 2 balljoints from the suspension arms, also the tierod end (on the steering arm), cut the brake hose, undo the boot on the pot joint (on gearbox). Then the whole brake, hub and driveshaft assembly will come out of the car.
To remove the driveshaft from the CV, hold it hanging with the shaft vertical, then strike the CV with a BIG hammer (known as a BFH) once or twice and the whole lot will drop off the shaft. Watch your toes, it is heavy! ;D
Kevin G
Hills District, Sydney, NSW

Pilot of Mini HaHa- 1360 wasMatic, had 86.6HP ATW, no hairdryer either...
New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

Offline Casper

• Registered Member
  • IT IS ALIVE!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
Yeah, sounds right to me...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:23:52 PM by Casper »

1977 Californian and 1972 Mini van in pieces

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
Darth,

Remove the 2 balljoints from the suspension arms, also the tierod end (on the steering arm)

This bit of the instructions requires you to use a Ball Joint Breaker(see discussion in Ian's thread in Around the Garage) or have some experience in doing it with a hammer and a drift.

The other bit missing is to undo the bottom arm first and remove it from the ball joint and then do the top one. If you try to remove the top first you will run into the axle hitting the subframe.

You could get filthy and I wouldn't say rich, but if you can get them into the country in hand luggage I could be interested in a set. If they are in restorable condition they could be worth $400-$600 dollars at least.

Terry

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »

Thanks Guys,

A few precisions needed (not that you didn't explain well...., it's just I didn't understand !)

On the pic below, are those two parts the ball joints ?

I can buy a ball breaker (too bad my wife left.... ;D)  but how does that thing work ?

On the next one is this the drive shaft ?  And which part of the tie rod should I undo and remove ?

strike the CV

With pleasure but where is that thing ?

cut the brake hose

Is it not needed for fitting on another car ? Can't it be undone (or unscrewed, unbolted) ?

Offline drmini in aust

• Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »
Thanks Guys,

A few precisions needed (not that you didn't explain well...., it's just I didn't understand !)

On the pic below, are those two parts the ball joints ?

I can buy a ball breaker (too bad my wife left.... ;D)  but how does that thing work ?

On the next one is this the drive shaft ?  And which part of the tie rod should I undo and remove ?

With pleasure but where is that thing ?

Is it not needed for fitting on another car ? Can't it be undone (or unscrewed, unbolted) ?

OK yes your labels are correct, those 2 are the balljoints. Undo the nut, the joint is on a taper and will come out with a scissor type balljoint puller.
The tierod end is the thing between your 2 labels- the nut to undo is the LH one in picture, the nyloc one. It also is on a taper.
You can unbolt the brake caliper then spin it to save the brake hose, but I would always replace hoses with new.

Kevin G

New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

Offline Darth Moke

• Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »

Thanks DR,  what about the cv ? What am I supposed to hit ?

Offline drmini in aust

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Thanks DR,  what about the cv ? What am I supposed to hit ?
Kevin G

Offline Terry

• Serial Moke Offender
  • Administrator
  • Registered Member
  • Melbourne, Victoria
    • MokeWerx
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »
Darth,

If you are referring to the CV that is attached to the engine then the easist what is to cut the tie holding the boot onto the 'pot' and this will normally require you to get right under the car.

Other way is once you have all the rest undo is is give everything a pull away from the engine with the axle straight and hopefully you can pull the whole inner through the boot(or break the boot) and it will come out.

It is a slip joint and nothing but the rubber boot holds it together once you have the ball joints out.

Terry